12.06.2019

Come here, baby.  I want to tell you something.

The day is over now but night hasn't yet arrived.
it's that in-between time.
The Gloaming.
You hate The Gloaming.
It makes you feel like you're suffocating there between the sun and the moon;
the two of them pressing against you from either side;
one giving,
one taking.
Come here and take this walk with me down to the rivers edge.
There's a patch of spider lily's there I know you'd like to see
and they look perfect in this light, their red spider fingers
reaching up and then curling down into themselves.
Hurry!  Bring your camera. I know you'll get a perfect picture in the waning light of this day.
Will you print it and frame it for me?  My birthday is coming up and I'd really like that.
Now, take my hand.   Walk with me along this moonlit path back to our house.

I brought the medicine for your headache.  I'm just going to put these two brown pills right here
next to this cold glass of water I poured for you.
You've been working all day and I saw you leaned back in your chair.
Your eyes were closed and your hands were laced together in your lap.
It's time for you to stop but you won't so take this medicine here instead.

It's midnight in summer and jazzy blues are coming in soft waves from the stereo;
I've left the windows in the bedroom open all day
so the air is thick with the sweet bloom of the magnolia tree down below.
I won't let go of this breath I've been holding for you
until I hear the mattress creak from your weight.

Baby,

You're in the ring right now, your face is a bloody pulp,
you can barely hold your hands up in front of you.
That other guy is beating you down hard and fast,
but the bell is about to ring and I've already shoved in this mouthguard.
My gloves have blades on the end of them
and I'm about to fuck this little pussy bitch all the way up.
So you just go rest back there in that corner and put some ice over that eye;
it's starting to swell and I don't want you to miss this beat down.
But listen, baby, we gotta get outta here the minute I mop the floor with this mother fucker
so be ready to run.  I don't think the blades in my gloves are legal and they're gonna come after us.

But they won't catch us. 

I won't let them.

Come here, baby. 

I'm gonna love you like you've never been loved before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Once Upon A Time

I spent the last two hours writing to you.  It's long and drawn out and I'm not going to post it here.  It was an attempt to make se...